Tuesday, June 26, 2007

School Has Ended

I'm sitting at home, waiting for my chili to warm up, on a Tuesday morning for no other reason but that I can. Students were dismissed yesterday at 12:00 PM and the teachers were running from the building soon after. This year I'm feeling a bit different about the ending of the school year. I've had some very interesting experiences during the '06-'07 school year:

I spent about 50% of my time in September thru November with one student who required extensive amounts of restraining. He was eventually hospitalized and then moved to a school that has a classroom specifically for children with behavior disorders.

In January I started acting as the principal when she was out of the building. I have become quite skilled at suspending students :-)

In February, we got a new student and within four weeks, he was transferred to the classroom for students with behavior disorders (BD).

In March I got pregnant and had to tell my principal that I couldn't help her restrain students anymore. I also had 7 IEPs due this month.

In April I started working with a student that will be in the BD classroom in the fall.

In June I was informed that the mother of my student had filed a 'citizen's complaint' with the state. Can you say, "Hello lawsuit?"

In June, I also made the decision to start teaching 5th grade in the fall. No more special education for this teacher! I obviously won't be around for much of the school year, but I'm really looking forward to getting them started on the right foot in September before the baby comes.

Anyone notice a pattern here?

All in all, this has been the most interesting school year of my career. Hopefully I won't have one like it in a very long time!

1 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

The odds are that at least some of your "soon to be 5th graders" will be great kids to work with and hopefully they and their parents will be able to recognize a good teacher when they see one! But now you deserve a vacation!

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home