Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Hives?

Some of you may know that when Nora was about three months old, I had a horrible case of hives that lasted for almost two months.

I think that all the stress of trying to find a house, moving, and being a single mother for a week and a half in the middle of all of this has taken a toll on my body. My stomach and back are covered with hives again.

I've been waking up in the morning itching like crazy. Thankfully it hasn't required a trip to the ER or even a doctor's visit, but it is still quite annoying. This morning I dug through all the bathroom boxes until I found the Alegra. It reminded me of watching a girl, who used to date Brian's best friend, as she frantically looked for her missing pot. I knew that medicine was going to give me some relief and I was determined to find it. As I was ripping open boxes labeled "Master Bath," Nora looked away from Mr. Rogers long enough to ask, "Mommy, what's wrong?" I must have been oozing desperation.

I caught myself scratching my stomach in the middle of a meeting this afternoon. Thank goodness the hives aren't on my ass or somewhere even worse!

7 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

Sometime in 1995 I started breaking out with eczema and it has never gone away since. I have tried every prescription and cream and injection in the book to try to curb the itch. (man, I sound like a billboard for VD or something) The past 5 years it has only been on my hands, but oh, it really itches some days, and I have found that Aveeno lotion with soothing menthol really helps alleviate itch temporarily. It's the best over the counter I have found.

5:24 AM  
Blogger April said...

ooo, ooo, ooo! I have that already! I put some on after my shower this morning. Thanks for the idea!

5:56 AM  
Blogger FDR said...

I remember how sick you were with those hives last year! Hopefully what you are going through now won't be as intense. I was looking in my RX for Nutritional Healing book to see what was recommended for hives. They suggest flaxseed oil 1,0000 mg per day, B complex vitamins plus B5 and B12, aphidophilis, garlic, multivitamin and mineral complex. Some herbs are chamomile, echinacea, & ginseng claiming to be helpful as well. Hope you have some of these on hand so that you can at least try one or two to see if any of them work! Hope this helps. Sending you and Nora lots of hugs.

6:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEah, my eczema gets out of control when I am majorly stressed. Take it easy and alcoholic beverages always help to calm the nerves!

3:54 PM  
Blogger pegandmichael said...

I would go to the doctor. I had the terrible misfortune of getting a flea bite a few years ago, that started out itching me to the point of insanity. Then I developed hives all over my body. I went to my doctor who gave me a shot of epinepherine, and instantly felt better, then followed it up with a few weeks of zyrtec. Good Luck!

7:26 AM  
Blogger April said...

Is this Aunt Peggy? I had no idea you were reading! Nice to meet you ;-)

8:09 PM  
Blogger pegandmichael said...

Yes, tis I. Nice to meet you as well.

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home