Saturday, August 25, 2007

Brian's Birthday Present

I bought Brian a beer making kit yesterday for his birthday that is coming up on September 13th. I had it all planned out how he wouldn't find out before by writing a check and having them package them in nondescript cardboard boxes. I was simply going to tell him it was stuff for school and ask him to store it on the shelves in the garage.

Well, that of course didn't happen. As soon as I opened the trunk of the Pilot, Brian got a huge grin on his face. I hadn't noticed that on one of the boxes it said, "Glass Bottle". Brian asked, "Why does that box say glass bottle?" I tried to respond saying that I was just a box they used to pack up my stuff at the store. He was on to me right away and told me I was a bad liar, which I am.

As of last night at 2:00 AM, Brian was still awake trying to figure everything out.

This morning, Brian and Nora are off the the beer and wine making shop to talk to the owner and gaze at the 50 different kinds of hops that they have.

I guess for his birthday, his present will be a bottle of homemade beer. He gets back from Lithuania on the 13th at 5:00 pm, so I'm sure he'll be in the mood for a good stout!

4 Comments:

Blogger Andi said...

Welcome to the world of home brewing...I recommend a chiller.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Snowman said...

Mmmmm....beer.

What can I say? I suppose you'll be growing hops next. With the stupid kitchen in various rooms of the house, I have run out of beer, and run out of places to make it. I will have to wait until I have a kick ass stove hood to vent the fumes.

Soon, I will embark on drying my hops and cooking from scratch. No more of these kits. However, the kits are quite lovely.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

In the garage now there is a 6 gallon carboy filled with a dark brown liquid which will, if all goes well, become beer within 2-3 weeks. It's a stout. We'll see how well this one goes before I take the training wheels off and start adding my own hops.

After struggling with a bathtub full of ice this morning, I think a wort chiller would be a good idea. Plus, the coil and tubes would really add a great "mad scientist" touch to the garage.

8:43 PM  
Blogger M Big Mistake said...

My brother is a fabulous beer brewer...he has reciepes on line at http://www.clanward.com/brewery.htm and lots of other tips

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home